Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I ran across this in Food Business News:

Formulating keto-friendly foods

It has a nice breakdown of food trends, for instance:

Quote:
the number of Americans following a diet or eating pattern in the past year jumped to 52%, up from 39% in 2021 and 38% in 2019. While the most common dietary lifestyles are clean eating (16%), mindful eating (14%), calorie counting (13%) and plant based (12%), keto (7%) is much stronger than most marketers imagined it would ever be four years ago.

“Honestly, no one thought it would last this long,” said Kimberlee Burrington, director training, education and technical development, American Dairy Products Institute, Elmhurst, Ill. “It was more niche than the Atkins diet or other low-carb diets.”

Keto is low-carb, but really, I am pleased calorie counting has slipped to 13%. And look at how many don't have an eating pattern, so I think people are open to good information. Sounds like they are considering the food and health link.

But I don't know how much to trust their categories, though at least they explain this one:

Quote:
The keto weight-loss regimen emphasizes a diet in which 70% of calories come from fat, 20% from protein, and 5% each from simple carbohydrates and non-starchy vegetables. Foods labeled as keto tend to have such a composition. By eating only foods with these nutrient ratios, consumers are assured of getting the fat they need to get thin.

Keto-friendly, on the other hand, is typically more of a low-carbohydrate food. It may be consumed if an individual is following a keto diet without fear of surpassing that maximum of 30 grams of net carbs per day.

Veganism thrives on products, and I admit I lured DH into keto world with shakes and bars. It's how I started. It's not a bad thing, but it can be done badly.

And this is a real advantage:

Quote:
Today keto is more popular than vegetarianism (3%) and vegan (2%), according to the IFIC survey. It’s no wonder why so many new products position themselves as keto or keto-friendly. Just like vegetarian and vegan claims attract everyday consumers, the term keto on a package lures shoppers who are looking to cut back on carbohydrates, specifically added sugars. This is coming primarily from consumers under the age of 50, according to the IFIC survey.

But we all feel this one:

Quote:
To make keto and keto-friendly foods, you must eliminate most grains, fruits, sugars and starchy ingredients, which is likely the most challenging in bakery and snacks where flour and sugar have traditionally been dominant ingredients.

Still, keto junk food is at least moving in the right direction.

Quote:
Food scientists in the MGP Technical Center created a keto-friendly pizza crust. Wheat protein isolate and RS4 resistant wheat starch were combined to replace all the flour in the recipe. The finished product, at a 55-gram serving size, had net carbs of only 2 grams. Protein level measured at 9 grams.

If this is the fast food of the future, road trips become much more casual