View Single Post
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Apr-19-15, 01:37

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 164/162.6/151 Female 5'3"
BF:Sure is
Progress: 11%

The following stood out to me in the article about LCHF article posted in RUN: "The 2-year decrease in the urine albumin-to-creatinine ratio directly correlated with the decrease of the saturated fat level".

In the ScienceDaily-linked study, the mice were put on a "ketogenic diet (5% carbohydrate, 8% protein, 87% fat)". That is a pretty low level of protein: 30 g. on a 1,500 calorie diet.

I'm sure you know this, Muddygurl, but maybe Liz doesn't: Serum creatinine is what drives the lab test that detects kidney disease. Creatinine is filtered out through the kidneys as a by-product of protein digestion and muscle contractions. More (higher) creatinine indicates loss of kidney function; less (lower) creatinine indicates better function. Seems to me, if you reduce dietary protein to 8%, you're therefore going to have less creatinine to filter. Your lab tests are going to look like there is improved kidney function, when they really just reflect a low protein intake. JMHO.

Also - I wonder what 'reverse' (as in reversing kidney disease) really means. A ketogenic diet may change lab test results, but I didn't read that the changes were sustained after the diet ended.

One more thing...in the RUN article it says: "2-year increase in eGFR was significantly associated with 2-year decrease of body weight, fasting plasma insulin levels, homeostasis model assessment of insulin resistance (HOMA-IR), and systolic and diastolic blood pressure (P , 0.05 for all)." Sounds like a vote for staying the weight-loss course.

Until now, all I've heard or read is to reduce protein to slow the decline. Dietician #1 wants me eating no (or very low) fat, too. Ugh. Like I've said elsewhere, I have an appointment with a LC dietician this coming week...hope she tells me what I want to hear.