#14   ^
Old Sun, Jan-31-10, 00:12

Plan: Vegetarian LC
Stats: 148/137/132 Female 5.4
BF:
Progress: 69%

Quote:
Originally Posted by allegra15
Egg creams - a type of protein shake that lots of Atkins (and other low carbers use) - There are a bunch of threads out there. But I think this has a great basis. They suggest using an egg (same as egg creams - some lc-er's use 2 - but since 3 shakes a day are recommended, I think one is ok - depends on if it holds you over from getting hungry). I use Biochem unflavored whey - no taste. Add 1-2 T heavy cream. Scoop of protein. 2500 mcg of L-leucine (powdered but yo ucan open capsules) for lean muscle building (as they recommend) -- and then it calls for ice (as much as you like to make it the consistency you like - and about 2/3 cup of water. From there you flavor or enhance it as you like. Instead of water, use Diet Rite Orange soda (it's like a creamsicle - and made with splenda). Use decaf coffee (cold) instead and a shot of Davinci's hazelnut sugar free (splenda). The list goes on and on. The first one fills me up ok (breakfast) but the second on REALLY holds me over - in fact so much so that I can hardly drink the 3rd one. Then I eat a regular low carb meal - protein, light amount of salad and low carb vegetable. Like I mentioned, you can choose any meal of the day as your "real meal" (say if you prefer breakfast).

The book is the 6 Week Cure for the Middle Age Middle (Eades) - the same people who wrote Protein Power. Although I stick more to Atkins, PP is not too different (as I'm sure lots of you know) -- I just can't eat grains.

Their rationale which they spell out in medical terms is "de-toxing" and cleaning out your liver (for the first two weeks of shakes). You also are to ditch all caffeine (which I have), use few to no medications if at all possible (like acetaminophene) due to the load on the liver as it de-toxes. They stress upping your protein (the shakes make it easy). Keeping up the saturated fats (eat fat cuts/types of meat), don't eat processed food, etc.

Whatever the combo is, I lost another couple pounds again. I do exercise, but I always do that. They recommend smooth, slow weight training on an ongoing basis, but simply encourage you to walk, park your car far away etc -- practical stuff.

Like I said, this is for me a "refinement" of Induction ...I am going to continue on the 3 shakes/1 meal program for this week and next....and see where I am at.

This method really sounds appealing as I like protein shakes. However, I cannot purchase the book atm as it is a hardcover and is a bit pricey.
I am doing phase 2 and have been on a plateau for weeks so this may do the trick for those last few pounds.

If I fully understand the shakes are made of cream, water 2 scoops of lc protein and flavour plus an egg? I can't purchase egg creams over here neither so would use Jarrow's protein powder.

2 a day plus a standard LC meal ?