View Single Post
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Sep-23-19, 10:03

Plan: Atkins/Duke diet
Stats: 267/173.8/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 76%

I watched the episode with Bill Maher - I always watch his show. This is not the first time he has addressed the issue, or called people out (politicians, actors, public figures) for being obese. Since he is a comedian, this is usually in an insult disguised in a joke. I always cringe when he does that.

I actually think that he is addressing it as a health issue and is using his platform to try to bring it to public attention, but that does not mean it is right. I appreciate James Cordon's response.

Its so typical of someone who has never had a weight problem to think those that do are just weak and eat what they want. That is ignoring all kinds of medical issues and medication issues that cause weight gain. For example, doctors changed my husbands diabetes medicine because two were causing kidney damage, and he immediately began gaining weight while eating the same way. He has been fighting it ever since and is struggling to lose the 30 pounds he gained.

I will continue to watch Bill Maher because I love his show, but I hope he learns a little something from the comments. Of course, he loves controversy and being politically incorrect so who knows?

One thing I do know is that fat shaming or bullying is not an incentive to lose weight. In fact, it usually has the opposite effect. Until people make that decision for themselves, all the fat shaming in the world won't help. Its easy not to see yourself as others see you. To me, I was the same person I always was.....I was shocked when I would see a picture of myself, but what motivated me finally was terrible foot and knee pain, and a kind foot surgeon who gently told me that my pain would be much less and damage to my feet and knees much less if I could manage to lose some weight. He explained about the pounds of pressure on each foot and knee when I walked at this weight. It was something like twice your weight on each step. I weighed 267 at that time so that was huge. When I left his office I started my diet.