Old Sat, Apr-14-07, 20:14
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnamater
... The love of a great vanilla ice cream is deep in my southern roots (visions of the porch swing and the old crank ice cream freezer. . .) That's why I'm looking for the perfect "custard" type vanilla.

One more thing. . .I read on another board that using a vacuum sealer on ice cream makes it spoonable later after freezing.

Anybody have that experience? I would love to put ice cream for later into the freezer, but not if it goes rock hard.

Ya know, that good basic vanilla is the grandmammy of all ice creams, and really important. I have to say (again, sorry) I'm really happy with my base and its mix of 'sugar' replacers and flavours. I use the best vanilla extract or occasionally splash out on some lovely vanilla bean, and add sweetener, and it's excellent if I do say so myself!

I've never heard of the vacuum sealer thing, and I can't understand how that would work, seeing as it's the freezing point and emulsification of the various ingredients that makes ice cream what it is, not air contact...my experience to get that scoopability is a combination of the freezing point depressors (PDX, Erythritol, Glycerol, veg gums) and emulsifiers and gelling agents (veg gums, butterfat, egg yolk, lecithin). Trial and error. Hope this helps?

Works for me! Think I'll go scoop me a spoon or two of the remaining Quadruple Chocolate...and think about making some more vanilla base, or maybe I'll get to that Lemon Curd tonight......mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.