View Single Post
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-06-10, 21:10

Plan: Low-carb/High-Fat
Stats: 345/335/180 Male 71
BF:
Progress: 6%

Hi Molls229,

Indian food is one of my favorite foods. I could actually BE a vegetarian if I could eat Indian food everyday.

Your question was can you eat rice and follow Atkins? One cup of cooked Basmati white rice has 45 grams of carbs --- high for Atkins. Rice is like anything else on Atkins, as it's all about lowering the carbs. Rice, bread, potatoes, & sweets are all things I love, but cannot have right now, I have 170 pounds (77 kg, or 12 stone) to lose.

If you're on induction (the beginning phase), that would mean less than 1/4 cup of rice per day... but of course, what would be the point?

I have good news, though. Indian vegetarian foods are often low carb, including eggplant, cauliflower, and spinach. Additionally, ghee (clarified butter) is an excellent way to add fat to your diet (it's amazing that when carbs are dramatically reduced, fat helps with satiety and does NOT make you fat, as it is CARBS which drives up insulin which creates fat).

Being vegetarian on Atkins, in my opinion, is fine, as long as your carb intake is low. Watch out for paneer or channa cheeses, or other "soft" cheeses, as they tend to be about 2 gm carbs per ounce (and who wants only 1 ounce of heavenly paneer?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by molls229
i am indian. and i love indian food. belonging to the coast i love rice. and this staple food has been my main source of energy ever since i remember. Sadly i am a vegetarian. wondering how to do atkins now. can anybody help???