View Single Post
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Jan-10-09, 21:08

Plan: Atkins 92
Stats: 260/200/175 Female 72 inches
BF:Size 20/12/10
Progress: 71%
Default Italian Cheese-Stuffed Meatloaf

Got this recipe from a former teacher of mine - it's the best meatloaf I've ever had. My friends love it so much they make me make it at Thanksgiving instead of turkey!

1 lb ground beef
1 lb italian sausage (sweet or hot)
1 bag pork rinds, crushed finely
3 eggs
1 c. canned diced tomatoes (I usually use a little less)
1/4 c. finely diced onion
3 cloves chopped garlic (or more, I like LOTS)
1/2 c. pine nuts (optional)
12 oz. (or more) shredded mozzarella cheese
15 oz. (or more) full fat ricotta cheese
4 oz. (or more) grated parmesan cheese
basil, oregano, crushed red pepper, salt, pepper, parsley, nutmeg to taste

Preheat oven to 375. Mix beef, sausage, 2 eggs, pork rinds, tomatoes, onion, garlic, pine nuts, 4 oz. mozzarella and 2 oz. parmesan cheese together with seasonings to taste. Mix ricotta with remaining egg and mozzarella/parmesan cheeses, and season to taste with nutmeg, salt, pepper and parsley.

Place one-half to two-thirds of meatloaf mixture in a round casserole dish or other suitable baking vessel (I happen to have an oval casserole dish with a wide flared lip that is perfect for this, but I've also done it in a small dutch oven without issue). Press meat into dish and up the sides, creating a 1" thick layer of meat on the bottom and sides of pan. Spoon cheese mixture into the meat-lined hollow. Top with remaining meatloaf, shaping to create a "cover" for the existing meat structure. Make sure all seams are well sealed. Poke a small hole in the lid to allow steam to escape.

Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes (approximately) or until meatloaf is cooked through. Cover with foil halfway through cooking time if meatloaf appears to be too brown. Check periodically and drain excess liquid if necessary. Remove from oven and allow to rest 10 minutes before slicing. Serve with marinara sauce, if desired.

Carbs: 12g minus 4g fiber for the tomatoes, about 5g for the onions/garlic, depending on how much you use, 4g for the pine nuts, about 30g for all the cheese - so like 45-50g for the whole recipe? This amount feeds 3-4 generously (we are big eaters around here, but also, this stuff is ADDICTIVE). I don't usually make this for induction but it's great for OWL or maintenance. Buon appetito!