View Single Post
  #40   ^
Old Tue, Dec-18-07, 20:14

Plan: Atkins - O.W.L.
Stats: 197/172/150 Female 5 ft 5 in
BF:
Progress: 53%

Greetings from Hong Kong, MamaGecko!

I'm not very familiar w/ Malaysian food or what's available in KL. My husband is in Phase-3 SBD and I'm in Phase 2 (11 months and counting - but I was fatter to start w/ ).

I do eat curry - Indian or Malaysian or HK-style. I just don't eat it w/ rice (usually eat over bok choi jai) and don't eat it w/ potatoes.

I think it's very important to find LC choices that are not bland and boring - especially if you're used to a spicy diet. From what I've read on this forum, a lot of Atkins people use coconut oil and coconut milk - you should probably check w/ them.

If you're thinking of converting your husband to a more "carb friendly" diet, you might also want to consider South Beach Diet - my husband and I have found it pretty easy to follow in Hong Kong - but that might be because Cantonese food lends itself well to SBD - lots of vegetables and in phase 2 - fruit as well.

re: cold weather & eating - I think Chinese Hot Pot would be great for Atkins people. Lots of hot chicken broth & dipping your meat and veggies.

Here's something on the web about a hot pot restaurant in KL http://malaysianfoodguide.com/2007/...hicken-hot-pot/

Keep posting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaGecko

I can't help but think it must be so hard to do this in KL, with all the curry laksa, nasi lemak and lemang (I wonder can we eat rendang, considering it's all beef?)

Over here, it's easier as we just stick to mixed salad with whatever meat we're having, mostly Salmon as it's cheap here.

So what do you guys do when all those roti canai and soup kambing (can we have this?) is beckoning?

I' aiming to convert hubby to a more carb friendly diet after he achieve his weight target. I'm thinking of GI Diet and I can't really see us doing without our rice and noodles here, especially when it's so cold.

Best Wishes from,
MamaGecko