Old Sat, Sep-13-08, 16:16
LCing for health!

Plan: GF whole foods
Stats: 160/140/140 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citruskiss
Also - check out this wonderful blog, "Healthy Indulgences" - it's all low-carb, and it's gluten free. Plus, she takes the time to provide dairy-free alternatives in her recipes as well. It's a beautiful blog.

http://healthyindulgences.blogspot.com/

She posts here as 'lcstudent' and some of her photos of her recipes are in the recipes/food section of the gallery on here.

Thanks, Citruskiss! I always think of you when I try to tweak recipes to be dairy-free.

Here are some chocolate chip cookies I made for my blog. 'Spose you could use cacao nibs instead of chocolate to make it more paleo. You need to use another sweetener besides stevia to make these sweet enough. Erythritol is natural enough for me. It doesn't have carbs like honey, agave, etc. so I use it.

Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies

Makes about 18 large cookies

Ingredients:
-1/2 cup unsalted organic butter OR coconut oil
-2 cage-free organic eggs
-3/4 cup erythritol (use whatever sweetener you like)
-1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
-2 cups blanched almond flour
-1 teaspoon baking powder (don't have to use this)
-1 teaspoon organic blackstrap molasses (not necessary for drop cookies)
-1/4 teaspoon sea salt
-1/2 teaspoon pure stevia extract
-1 teaspoon xanthan gum (necessary if you use erythritol)
-4 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
-1 heaping cup homemade chocolate chunks OR chocolate disks with 73 % cacao, such as El Rey or Dagoba (or your preferred low carb chocolate)
-1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

Powder erythritol with sea salt in coffee grinder or magic bullet (use the flat blade). Melt butter or oil in mixing bowl with the microwave, using 15 second intervals. Whisk in eggs and vanilla. Whisk in erythritol, sea salt, stevia extract, and blackstrap molasses. Pulse coconut flakes into a powder in magic bullet, if desired. Mix the rest of the dry ingredients together and stir into wet ingredients, adding nuts and chocolate chunks after the dough comes together. Shape dough into balls and squish on an ungreased cookie sheet with the clean bottom of glass--these cookies will not spread. If you are making the drop cookies, press chocolate drops into the tops of your cookie dough rounds, smoothing the edges with your fingertips if they crack.

Bake for 10-12 minutes, until light brown around the edges. Let cool completely on the cookie sheet, then remove from the pan and store in an airtight tupperware container. Nuke in the microwave before consuming for maximum enjoyment and gooeyness! Serve with unsweetened almond milk, flavored with a touch of stevia.

~3 grams net carbs per big cookie! (with homemade chocolate chunks)