View Single Post
  #163   ^
Old Tue, May-28-19, 02:29

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Grav, for that price you could book a package holiday to Miami next February and have a CAC done at Baptist Health for $49 US.

I forget who is also a member of the Ketogenic Forums, but there is a newish thread there titled "CAC Scores Not 0: Add your knowledge here" The health sub-forums are good, the cholesterol one has interesting topics, so it is worth going through the steps to search and read that forum when needing specific advice.

First post:

Quote:
Lots of threads about “you need to get a CAC done”, but very little about after you get a score and it isn’t 0. I want this thread to be a place where questions and answers can be found. It is possible to reduce the calcium build up, stabilize or reduce the growth.

This topic is now literally close to my heart. I did my CAC, went to Dr. William Blanchet’s facility, and the score was 328.98 and that is in the 90th percentile for my age range. The clinic comments are : '" the ascending aoria is mildly calcified extending into the ostium of the right coroanary artery. This is consistent with mild extra-cardic vascular atherosclerosis. In addition the patient has aortic annular sclerosis." I got instructions on how to stop the increase or lower its progression.

Ivor’s interview with Dr. Blanchet came out after I had my scan done. Link is below. The biggest takeaways I had from that interview were:

The dental health relationship to coronary health. I will be flossing a lot more going forward. Beats taking a statin any day! Dr. B. personally reduced his own score by 18% in a year by just adding additional brushing and flossing to his routine.

Colored berries are the preferred fruits and you should eat them, along with lots of green veggies and lean meats.

He recommends low carb diet.

Avoiding vegetable oils and trans fatty foods

Brisk walks for half hr. 3X a week. The runners in Boulder that he works with have a hard time that recommendation, LOL.

For higher scores, over 100, B3 (slow released nicotinic acid) D3, and Omega 3 oils, and VitK2 are needed supplements.

If your dr. recommends statins,they can be synergistic to the supplements. For most of his patients they are not needed at all. He has been doing this for 15+ yrs. last time a patient of his had a heart attack was 6 yrs. ago. He is all about prevention of attacks.

Link... thefatemperor.com – 12 Apr 19 1 Bill Blanchet MD - Eliminating Heart Attacks...and Much More Podcast #17 |... Bill Blanchet MD is a cardiologist, preventative intervention expert and also an exceptional expert in cardiovascular imaging. He has near-eliminated heart attacks and repeat heart attacks in his patients over the last 15+ years. Here we... Here is a link to an older discussion on the forums that has some great info in it as well. Bad Calcium Score. How to reduce it I agree with Rob.

Personally, I will never take statins. Inflammation is the problem, not saturated fat IMO. I would avoid industrial seed oils like the plague(which is basically what they are wink ) Ivor Cummins has some great science based info on this subject.

There are only a few follow up comments about this so far, but there are a few other active threads about CAC scores. There is one titled Why did my CAC increase? Her First scan was 107, second it dropped to 98, third it went back up to 154. Advice similar as same member is commenting.