#10   ^
Old Wed, Jul-10-02, 12:48
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/171/150
BF:
Progress: 48%
Default College no-nos!

It may be the summer, and I may working full time, but I'm still living in the university district! And I have found two "taboos" that should be avoided in your first two weeks on the diet, especially with the "college" influence.

1) DO NOT CHEAT! If you're cheating in the first two weeks (which is easy since the typical diet among my college roomies is pizza, top ramen, soda and beer) it's only going to ruin the amazing results you're supposed to get from induction... I should know... I was losing and then stopped dead. Granted, I don't have a huge amount of weight to lose, so maybe the cheating put me on a little plateau, but the first two weeks really should be strict. Otherwise, your body won't fully transition into lipolysis/ketosis.

2) DON'T WEIGH EVERYDAY! Man, this one is so true. (Especially for Roxy!) As it is stated in many of the diet texts online and in the Atkins book itself, body weight fluctuates wildly throughout the day. So, it is very possible you gained a pound in your first day while your body is not yet in lipolysis. Once a week is fine... plus, it gives you something to keep you on course. Think of it like long-distance running instead of sprinting. Better to run the 400m at once and then turn around to see how far you've travelled rather than running 50m at a time and stopping to see how far you've run.

Other than that, I hope everybody enjoys their summers and loses enough weight to turn heads when they return this fall--I know that's my goal!

~Aaron