View Single Post
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Dec-29-22, 10:48
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Reading Nancy's cautionary note, I checked my own IP as there's a batch of bone broth underway right now. Moved the pot aside and felt the counter top .. barely warm. Granted, the sides are hot, but not so hot I couldn't briefly touch with my bare hand. There are 4 "feet" on the bottom leaving a bit of space between the base of the pot and whatever surface it's on .. and I always ensure plenty of space around the pot while it's working. Mine is an actual Instant Pot; maybe there's a design issue with other brands like Ninja or Presto??

I *love* my IP .. use it at least once or twice a week, usually more. My 7+ yr old one died last summer and I quickly realized purchasing a new one was not optional!!

Like others have mentioned, space is an issue in my kitchen .. both countertop and also storage. The slow cooker and steamer functions of my 6qt IP work very well, so I've been able to get rid of those separate appliances, freeing up a lot of storage space. I recently bought the vented glass lid specifically for those functions.

Another recent IP accessory I'm loving is the steel mesh steamer basket (this one) .. it stores easily inside the IP, so doesn't take up extra space. Especially love using it to make bone broth .. just throw all the bones and veggie scraps into the basket, insert into the pot then cover with water/liquid and cook as usual. When it's done, simply lift out the basket full of hot yuckola, let it drain, then discard. No more big mess trying to pour scalding hot broth full of debris through a regular strainer over a bowl. Ugghh. Caveat: wash or soak it immediately after use in hot soapy water. Do not .. I repeat .. do NOT let it sit till the debris dries on because it's a b!tch to clean once that happens

Happy New Year everyone, and happy cooking in 2023