#39   ^
Old Thu, Jul-21-16, 10:40

Plan: MyOwn:CHO<90g/d
Stats: 207/149/150 Male 169 cm
BF:40%/17%/18%
Progress: 102%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
I think the lower initial morning ketones might be due to the decrease in metabolism during sleep--glucose and ketones are needed then mostly for the brain.
Here are some more ketonix results for the ‘theorists’ here to ponder.
I switched to an ‘extreme’ ketogenic diet (EK) to see how the ketonix measurements would compare with those taken during my normal low carb diet (NLC). The following chart shows ketonix measurements starting on 17 July until 21 July. During the 3 day period 17 to 19 July I was eating my NLC diet but starting at 10:00 am on 20July I switched to a EK diet. The average macros during these respective periods are shown in the tables at the bottom of the chart. Energy intake was fairly constant throughout (~2220 kcals) but total carbs were reduced from 71 to 28 g/day and protein reduced from 90 to 56 g/d.

Some observations:
1) By the end of the first day of the EK diet the ketonix readings are at a higher level than on any of the previous days of NLC diet.
2) The ketonix readings remain elevated the next morning unlike the previous days of NLC diet.
3) During the whole of the second day of EK diet the ketonix readings continue to remain elevated and do not show as much daily variation.
4) On the second day of EK diet there is no apparent response to the afternoon MCT fat consumption.

The following charts show the same data plotted on a 6am to 12am daily cycle. The red & blue lines are an average of the 3-day NLC diet period.

NB: as per previous posts the blood ketones in the above chart are estimated from the ketonix values using correlations.