Old Thu, Feb-02-17, 17:37

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
So the Armour helped the cholesterol?.
Oh absolutely. It's the T3 thyroid hormone which helps regulate cholestertol. Comventional "standard of care" requires doctors to prescribe lexothyroxine (synthroid) only which is T4, which the body then converts to T3. However quite a large subset of people (including me apparently) cannot convert very easily and need to get the T3 directly. Armour is something you need to start slowly and ramp up slowly as the direct T3 can cause things like heart palpitations if taken in too large a dose. This is easily managed but probably why my endo called it dangerous.

I don't know your age, but probably for similar reasons Medicare will not allow Armour to be included in any Part D drug formulary anywhere in the US, even though it's an FDA-regulated drug which has been around for a LONG time (decades? 100 years?) -far longer than synthroid.

Sorry to hijack the thread. I also got off on a tangent when I went to google to search on "orthomolecular medicine" as that term kept being used in the book and I'd never heard it before. It led me to a scathing Wikipedia article which essentially denounced any sort of "orthomolecular" therapy as faddish, quackery, new age, useless, dangerous - proponents as ignorant, uneducated, credulous - doctors like Hoffer as complete quacks .... sheesh