View Single Post
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-24-11, 14:16

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%
Default I am so glad to hear that magnesium is doing you both so much good!!!

Hi Betty!

You posted this above:

Quote:
Thank you so much for the time and effort you put into replying to this thread! I read it with great interest and viewed the links as well. I don't know what more I can say except everything you say is "spot on".

Glad you liked my post! Magnesium is so under-rated in general, yet so important, that I feel it is almost my duty to share the knowledge I have picked up about this stuff. I think it can literally be a life-saver!!!

Quote:
I started taking Mg two days ago. I am taking Magnesium Citrate, Krebs Cycle, Easy Absorption, 500 mg in the evenings and Magnesium Citrate 150mg twice during the day. I am also feeding my husband the evening dose, and the one morning dose (he is so trusting isn't he?)

I give my DH stuff from time to time as well and he swallows it down, saying, "What is this anyway?" glug glug glug...

Quote:
Here's what I have noticed - and that's just in two days!
1. Substantially reduced, if not gone, fatigue in the afternoons
2. More "get up and go"
3. Feeling less overwhelmed with all the things on my to do list
4. Two nights running I haven't woken up with a desperate need to turn on my personal fan on my night stand
5. Sounder and more restful sleep (although I also started taking Melatonin in the evening as well)
6. Reduced stiffness which I attributed to being "old" and overweight
7. The scales are showing a loss again. YEAH!

That is totally fabbo news!!! What I found best about magnesium wasn't so much the energy side of things but what you mention in point 3: this feeling of not being so overwhelmed, of being able to take life in your stride again.

Quote:
What's even more interesting, is my husband, who is also low-carbing with me, but without the same amount of weight to lose, has been complaining about irregularity. He sometimes didn't go for days, and I'd have to listen to him whine about it. That's gone, but moreover, last night when he came home after a couple of evening appointments, he seemed like his appointments were in a bar, but I know without a doubt they weren't. He said he felt euphoric, happy and content. I'm not sure he's made the connection to Mg yet, but I am sure that's what it is. Being self employed means no work no pay, so he is under constant pressure to bring in the dollars.

This is also great!!! Whether the euphoria will last is another thing, but if it translates into calmness and being less overwhelmed for him, too, or just a sense of contentedness with one's lot, then that is also great!!!

Quote:
I have been taking anti-depressants for a bazillion years, and the last time I was at the doctor she suggested we may reduce the dose now that I am feeling better about myself and taking the weight off. Since I felt that dose may be too high already, I am only taking it every second day, since the half life on it is several days. I am also going to start taking my anti-inflammatory every other day and see how that goes. With any luck, I'll be off both of them in no time flat.

Magnesium is said to be an excellent anti-depressant: we need it to make serotonin, so if we're low, then we're sad, simple as that. It also explains why people tend to feel depressed when they're hungover: the alcohol causes a massive magnesium depletion, which leaves us feeling tired, achey in our muscles and depressed.

By the way, do you also take vitamin D3? This can also have an amazing effect on your mood, as I wrote in my earlier post. A lot of people who have SAD find that taking D3 through the winter banishes the winter blues. I certainly haven't had them since that one episode just before I started taking the D3. This is the one I have been taking (and giving it to my DH from time to time, too, since he smashed his kneecap a few years ago, to keep his bones and cartilage healthy):

http://www.iherb.com/Healthy-Origin...gels/18335?at=0

These are amazingly good value: more than a year's supply for $15. I used to take one a day, but decided to go down to one every other day, in winter. In summer, or rather from about April to October, I try to get some real sun as often as possible, without sunscreen, (I use coconut oil as a sunscreen, unless the sun is very strong and I'm, by the sea, or something), and only take the D3 when I don't get out much or when it's overcast for a few days running.

And, if you get these from iherb.com, use this code ~~~~~~ to get your five-dollar discount on your first order.

Quote:
I will keep posting on this thread with any updates or other moments. This has been truly an eye opener for me. WOW.

This is why I spend the time on these posts: in the hope that a few people will make this discovery like I did, too, and realize that a simple nutrient can make our lives so much more pleasant in so many ways.

Quote:
And on that note, I'll go for another coffee with my coconut oil and keep paying attention to what else is better.....

Hope you enjoyed your coffee!!!
Quote:
Thanks Amanda...

You're very very welcome, Betty! Any time!

amanda