View Single Post
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-09-19, 12:10

Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%

I'd second the idea that your body will adapt to anything if you do it consistently. Part of this adaptation is going to be a slowing of your metabolism if you're restricting calories, which inevitably you are if you're losing weight. One of the advantages of fasting and feasting cycles that change up is that it keeps your body guessing so it doesn't adapt to the lower overall calorie intake.

On top of this your RMR may drop because you are smaller. Your RMR at 235 lbs. might have been about 1677 and at 205 lbs. might be about 1537--without the effects of calorie restriction. (NOTE: I got these numbers from a pretty reliable calculator, but it's just an example.)

It may also be possible to boost your RMR through fasting and feasting cycles. This hasn't been clinically tested, but there are some people around on the internet and IDM who are experimenting with it. The idea is that you eat well over your TDEE (RMR + energy expenditure) for a couple of days and then fast completely for a day or more. You lose weight because your total calorie intake over the cycle is under what your body needs to maintain. But you're training your body to think that it's going to get lots of calories, so it starts burning at that rate (there is clinical evidence that RMR increases when you over-feed human subjects).

I don't want to give the impression that this is some kind of fancy CICO argument. It is true that to lose weight you need to be taking in fewer calories than you're using, no matter what you're eating. We also know that what you're eating makes a difference to how your body processes food and losing weight. The idea with this is that when you eat what you're eating also makes a difference.

Free2BeMe, you made a big difference changing your when to OMAD. Now, maybe you need a different when, or how much, or both. You could continue OMAD and drop quantity. Or switch to a different or varying pattern and possibly maintain quantity. Or switch to a different eating pattern and experiment with increasing quantity.