View Single Post
  #18   ^
Old Wed, May-14-03, 10:53

Plan: Restart 8/6/18 - 75/20/5
Stats: 196/155.4/130 Female 5'3"
BF:Die MF!
Progress: 62%

Like Tsipi, can't let this one go by...

As a drug addict (27 years) and certified extremist (read: addictive behavioral qualities manifest in every aspect of my life), I apply the same principles of AA. The "think it through to it's conclusion" process can be very effective. However, there may be times when rationalization creeps into this type of approach providing that deadly "I can get away with this. No one will ever know" mentality. Obsession has a way of "coloring our perceptions" and perspective. Sometimes what is needed is an escape from thinking. This is when and where the phrase "move a muscle, change a thought" comes into play. Redirecting our thoughts can be useful in managing many areas or times in our lives when truth becomes suspect, or at least blurred. Thus the sayings "count to ten", "take a deep breath", "walk around the block" etc.

Self-deception was a key component in the journey that necessitated our seeking this WOL. Addiction, in any form, relies, indeed thrives, on our propensity for justifying the unjustifiable. The role of self-deception, and it's tragic aftermath, in our lives warrants, actually demands, an ever-vigilant lookout for this devil. Satan is not known as "the great deceiver" for nothing.

Oops sorry, bottom line, sometimes it's better not to think. Sometimes it's better to refocus your attention.

Jones