#16   ^
Old Thu, Dec-02-10, 19:07

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 116/110/110 Female 5"1'
BF:
Progress:
Default Journaling

Hey, DG,

I'm glad to share some journal connections. Last winter, I had a major relapse and was into full blown sugar eating, and went back to do the RR steps in order. In January 2010, I was on Step 2. I'm currently doing all but the potato--I've found tremendous mood elevating effects with a light box, so I'm using that instead. I'll add the potato back if I feel a need.

My journal showed consistently when I eat lots of sugar and white stuff, two things happen: I gain weight and my self esteem nosedives. During times of heavy sugar use, common words I use to describe my moods are: angry, resentful, reactive, pissy, flat, raging, lonely, isolated, unhappy, frustrated. Conversely, even in nearly identical or worse situations, when not using sugar, I describe my moods as: calm, relaxed, light-hearted, responsive, emotionally available, good problem-solving, flexible, content.

When my eating is pristine, but I indulge in a glass of wine, the very next day I will see descriptions such as: cranky, irritable, reactive.

Basically, when I am really doing well, I don't lose it when bad things happen. When my program is off, little things really set me off. The only difference? How/what I've been eating or drinking. I've said before that when my eating is off, it's like my negative emotions are on steroids.

The journal also helps me to recognize which foods trigger in me a desire to keep eating them--these I work to remove and keep out of my diet, even if others can freely indulge. And when a so-called forbidden food does not have that affect, I eat it if it is otherwise good for me, such as fruit.

Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links