View Single Post
  #9   ^
Old Mon, May-20-02, 16:34

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Susie...

I think you answered your own question there. From experience, you know that if you eat right, you can get reasonable control of your blood sugars, but the second you start eating things that are high in carbs or sugar, you lose control again, both of your eating and of your blood sugars. Foods that cause you to lose control should be avoided ALL the time. No alcoholic can have a drink "once in a while" and no drug addict can have a fix "once in a while" and not become addicted all over again. Carb addicts aren't that much different. Our "fix" just comes from sugar instead of alcohol or drugs and to get over that addiction we must stay away from those foods for a very long period of time, perhaps forever. There are low carb substitutes on the market, but everyone's responses to them are as individual as they are. Some people can have them without triggering a binge to high carb foods, some can't. I've always been told by doctors that having gestational diabetes indicates that you are at higher risk for developing adult onset diabetes later. This doesn't mean that you are guaranteed to develop it, but your chances are much greater than the average person, especially if you are not eating properly. Talk to your doctor again and show him a copy of Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution and ask him to work with you on it with a goal of getting off insulin or at least being able to take much less of it while keeping your blood sugars stable. Read the book and follow the plan exactly (no bread, chocolate or fruit!) and no tinkering with your medication without your doctor's supervision. I think within a month, you will see big improvements. Good luck!