Thread: 10-pound curler
View Single Post
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-14, 08:27

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

Nancy: I was "an aging woman clawing her way back from the precipice" when I started weight lifting for the first time. I was a gym rat for a while, but never really enjoyed the machines. I got much better results in my arms when I took up free weights and especially when I started using them at home and at work in spare moments. In the beginning I asked people at the gym to show me how to use them correctly. Take a look around at people with great arms who are using free weights and then ask them to show you how. I guarantee you'll get positive responses because it takes no time at all to give you a few pointers and it's flattering to them at the same time. Don't worry whether they are men, women, old or young. All that matters is you like their results. BTW, 10lbs IMO is much too heavy for a free weights beginner. Believe it or not, I started with 2lbs but very quickly worked up to 5 then 8. I like how many reps and sets I can do at 8lb so have stayed there. YMMV.

ETA: It is very important to pace yourself no matter what form of exercise you use, including machines, yoga, whatever. You are doing this for you, not to impress anyone else, so there is no shame in starting where you feel very comfortable and building up slowly, adding more exertion just a little at a time. You'll be surprised how quickly you can progress that way - without aches, pains, and injuries.