View Single Post
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Dec-04-07, 07:27

Plan: paleo-ish
Stats: 482/400/240 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

I have discovered a new near-paleo baking ingredient that works really, really well. Powdered egg whites.

My new favorite treat is a biscuit. I started with this recipe and adjusted it some to fit my criteria.

2 1/4 c almond flour
4T cold solid fat. I've been using lard, but plan to try palm oil soon.
1tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 c powdered egg whites
1T liquid fat- I like macadamia nut oil
sweetener- I like 2 drops sweetzfree for an average batch
water

Cut the cold fat into the almond flour (well what do you know, my pastry blender is good for more than making egg salad!), then add the rest of the dry ingredients, mix. Add the 1T liquid fat, sweetener, and just a little water and start mixing, keep adding water in small amounts until you get a nice gloppy mixture that will make a good drop biscuit. Bake at 400 for 10-ish minutes.

I made some very thin ones and used them to make a really nice sandwich with uncured sliced ham.
I made some savory ones using olive oil and chicken stock instead of water and used them as a not-stuffing at Thanksgiving. They were excellent with gravy on them.
I made a sweet one using 5 drops of sweetzfree and cinnamon and used that as a 'shortcake' with berry puree and coconut milk.

I fixed my pumpkin muffin recipe by making that 1/4 cup 'other' flour into a scant 1/4 cup of powdered egg whites. Worked great.

Now I can give all my 'alternative' flours to my celiac friend, since my body doesn't like any of them.