Old Tue, Oct-23-07, 18:55
Registered Member

Plan: Natural/organic low-carb
Stats: 412/251.5/175 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 68%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bat Spit
Yes, baked goods aren't paleo. No question.

But, I miss baking. I really miss the smell of something fresh and sweet and spicy making my house smell good all day. And I miss having something with a bready texture to eat with a mug of tea on a cold morning.

I don't miss this stuff at all in the warm months but yesterday we got 3 inches of snow.

I thought about putting this in the regular cooking forums, but traditional 'low carb' baking makes heavy use of gluten powder, whey protein, soy flour and cream cheese. I thought some of the people here in Paleoland were probably experimenting with some of the same things I am. I saw Nancy posting about a molten chocolate cake thing...

So, the challenge is:
Basically, adhering as closely as possible to the paleo ingredient guidelines while still coming up with something recognizable as a baked good.
Gluten Free
Soy Free
Minimal dairy-limited to ghee, small amounts of butter, maybe tiny amounts of cream.
Mostly grain free
at least moderately low carb

I'm late to the party here, and I can't post any of my recipes, as they're going into a book, but I do all kinds of baking that meets your criteria and a bit beyond it.

Recently, I've begun doing some professional chefing on the weekends, and my clients have all kinds of restrictions (because I only take on clients with restrictions), and I do my best to give them back their favorite foods.

Myra