#14   ^
Old Sun, Mar-10-19, 11:31

Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheilaQ
Thanks for the replies everyone. I am on day 6 of Atkins and am feeling good, but struggling with the mental concept of never having bread, beer, ice cream again. I am hoping once a hit fat adaption I can have these treats very rarely and get back on track. This would be far in the future, but i need to believe that the plan would be workable for me long term.
For some people it is possible. Once you lose the weight you want AND you repair any metabolic damage from your old diet, then maybe. I think plenty of people who are in the "average" messed up category, rather than the severely messed up range, can eat a moderate carb diet (say 100g to 150g of carbs/day) and be just fine. In fact, people without messed up metabolisms can lose weight on that range of carbs (like the Zone diet). Whether you're one of those people is hard to say. And I think in that range there's plenty of room for occasional desserts and treats like bread.

One thing you should be aware of is that when we eat a higher carb diet, we store a lot of water in our muscles. When people see an initial weight drop when they start low carbs, it's that water dropping out. As you increase your carbs, you'll see some or all of that water weight come back.

For me, I'm hoping that I'll eventually be able to increase my carbs that high. There are definitely some foods that I miss, and like you, I'd like to have them occasionally without my system freaking out. But I have no idea if that's going to be the case and I try not to worry about it too much. Experimenting with that is pretty far in my future, so I focus on all the variety I can have right now.