View Single Post
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Sep-18-04, 21:36

Plan: 30 g carbs/day
Stats: 220/180/150 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 57%

I have to chime in here because I write for a magazine off press releases just like this one (different industry, but exactly the same M.O.).

First of all, you see it says "PR Newswire". Public relations newswires are *press releases*...not necessarily news per se. They are written by the companies themselves. If a survey is involved, it is one the company initiated and perhaps executed by itself (or else it outsourced to do the actual legwork of surveying people, etc.). They do NOT typically stop people on the street to ask them these questions. What they do is gather a group of *baked goods purchasers* from a variety of sources (websites being a huge one; coupons/rebates being another; etc.)...but the people they are surveying are ALREADY bakery goods-eaters.

It stands to reason that die-hard baked-goods eaters will be dissatisfied with low carb no matter what it tastes like...even if it's an egg.

Now, I'm not trying to slam Krusteaz. But, as I said, I work for a magazine and I know exactly how these items are intended to look...and I know what's actually behind them. "PR Newswire" is to CNN like "The Enquirer" is to The New York Times. It's set up like news (see? It has a date and a "source" and everything) and you are made to think that Krusteaz, a baked-goods marketer, for God's sake, just happend to stumble accidentally on a lot of "dissatisfied" low-carbers and decided to do this "survey". Don't be fooled. If you want to get news...do NOT get it off the PR newswire. And yes, the "legit" internet newswires have them too...Yahoo has a PR one...I think most of them have one.

It's pretty darned transparent that a company that pours sugar on top of white flower and packages it in a pretty box, will try to convince you, the reader, that every low-carb item tastes like doo-doo...so DON'T DO IT...don't touch that veggie or that piece of chicken...grab for the healthy Cake-O-Doodles instead!

Arghhhhhhhhhh. Sorry. Just had to get that off my chest b/c I HATE to see how marketers try to play with consumers' minds.