Thread: Killing keto...
View Single Post
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-18-19, 10:29

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I don't know that the study is necessarily flawed, so much as measuring something other than what Bach claims it does. There are instances where a sudden macro intake change is advocated just before a meet--maybe the most famous one is that glycogen supercompensation I mentioned, people will go low carb long enough to deplete glycogen, then eat a bunch of carbs leading into an event, this results in higher glycogen levels than if they'd just been eating high carb all along.

But even there, they're doing a study that's sort of been done and repeated, I guess our knowledge of short-term effects is solidified, and I haven't really looked that closely at the study or compared it to others like it, they may have looked at some aspects that previous studies neglected.

Lean mass gain in the work out study--these were experienced lifters. That can make gain of actual muscle, if you want to limit the definition to protein structure of muscle or something like that, less likely. Actual lean mass gain was all of two pounds, that's small enough for glycogen and differences in water balance to explain the difference.

The intermittent sprinting--an interesting question is what the point of the sprinting is. If you're trying hard to not come in second in the Olympics, that's one thing. If you're trying to impose a metabolic stress on your body, that's sort of another, it's entirely possible that ketogenic sprinting is slower but gives some improved metabolic benefit. I'm not saying it does--not saying it doesn't. Seen lots of suggestion that exercising in the fasted or ketogenic state might be better for the mitochondria, again, another area to look into more, I don't have an opinion right at the minute about that.

One thing I do know--I sprint faster at 153 pounds than I did at 170. You wouldn't mistake what I was capable of at 190 for a sprint. Maybe my peak power output is lower.