#5   ^
Old Tue, Nov-28-17, 05:33

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflammabl
In the past P&V have said that if the sum of all your ketones is above 0.2nM then you're in ketosis. Now they say that Paleo gets BHOB alone all the way up to 0.2-0.3nM but "a Paleo diet seems to be purposefully designed to prevent" nutritional ketosis. Frankly I'm past tired of their shifting definitions.

My sense of it all is that the advice keeps changing because the knowledge base keeps growing. For the most part I have stopped chasing ketones and instead concentrate on keeping my carbs low enough so that my bg stays under 100 at all times. I let my ketones take care of themselves. I figure that if I keep glucose low my body as no choice but to produce ketones. If I had cancer or epilepsy I would act differently. Is this the optimal way of doing things? Who knows? I suspect it's beneficial. All signs point to that so I am satisfied.

When I first started eating low carb I followed Dr Bernstein but made it paleo. I've always looked at paleo as more about what not to eat than what you have to eat. For me that meant I didn't eat any fruit except for a few berries and I controlled the amount of nuts and seeds I ate, all to keep the carb count low without venturing into non-paleo food sources. What messed me up, to a great degree, was adding some dairy back in, a non-paleo food and one my body doesn't tolerate. I also don't tolerate eggs and chicken, definitely paleo food. Sometimes it makes sense to follow a plan precisely and other times it makes more sense to figure out what works best for you, using some general principles and trying to understand the science so you don't screw things up for yourself. Be smart. Don't give up thinking. Incorporate the wisdom provided by others with your own wisdom of what your particular body needs and doesn't need.

Jean