View Single Post
  #33   ^
Old Wed, Oct-28-20, 10:50

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

In his latest Genius Life podcast, Max Lugavere discusses offal and why you should be eating it:

Why You Need to Eat Organ Meat, Plus Easy and Tasty Ways to Sneak It In | Ashleigh VanHouten

Quote:
The wellness community has been abuzz recently over organ meats; parts of the animal like liver and heart which are rightfully deserving of the term nature's multivitamin. Modern humans tend to throw these parts away, leading farmers to sell these precious parts off for pet food instead. But in the latest episode of my podcast, I pay homage to these nutrient dense meats and offer a way of easily and tastily including them in your diet, should you so choose.

Did you know that liver is one of the top sources of vitamin B12, and the mineral copper? Or that heart is loaded with CoQ10, a necessary nutrient for energy production in the heart and brain? We miss out on these unique nutrients when we either a) avoid meat altogether, or b) opt only for muscle meat, which is what most people eat when they eat meat today.

In today's podcast, I welcome health coach, chef, food and nutrition journalist, and Paleo diet expert Ashleigh VanHouten, who just wrote the definitive cookbook on this topic. It's wonderful! Over the course of our hour-long chat, you'll discover:
  • Why you shouldn't fear organ meats! A breakdown of each one and what you gain by eating them
  • How to use a Paleo-style diet as a template for a personal, sustainable approach to nutrition
  • How to overcome the 2 barriers to entry to enjoying organ meat: Taste and texture
  • The health benefits of organ meat aka offal and why ancient wisdom has long revered organs
  • Simple ways to buy and sneak organ meat into your diet so you don't even notice it
  • Why you should STOP overcooking your meat!
  • The organ that might boost libido and sexual health

Ashleigh just published her cookbook, It Takes Guts: A Meat-Eater's Guide to Eating Offal with over 75 Healthy and Delicious Nose-to-Tail Recipes. It's wonderful and packed with great information and recipes to nourish yourself and your family with. If you enjoy her breadth of knowledge, be sure to pick it up!