View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-22-18, 08:59

Plan: C:12 P:60 F:satiety
Stats: 220/177.6/142 Female 5'5
BF:0/0/0
Progress: 54%

some people find that the sugar alcohols (usually ends with -ol, ie xylitol, erythritol) cause the same problems for them that regular sugar does. some can tolerate it in small doses. ymmv.

i try to avoid xylitol because we have a dog and even a tiny amount can kill the dog if he gets into it

i use erythritol sometimes. i usually scale it wayyy back from what the recipe calls for though. after eating lowcarb for so long, i don't need much sweetener to taste it. i order in the same kind of erythritol that you linked to--i've had good luck with 'now' brand for various products. i have also ordered it from xyla--sometimes they have sales and free shipping

i find that powdered stevia mixed with another sweetener works wayyy better than stevia on its own. so if a recipe needs 1 cup of sugar, i replace it with 1/2 tsp powdered stevia and 1/2 cup of erythritol if i want the same level of sweetness. if that's too sweet, i would use 1/4 tsp stevia and 1/4 cup of erythritol. it's a bit of a trial and error process. i use the 'now' brand of stevia, i've had good luck with it in the past, it doesn't have an aftertaste. i think the manufacturing process for any of the stevias has really improved over the years though and you shouldn't get an aftertaste unless you're really using way too much of the stuff.

Quote:
My wife on the zero sugar diet says no for her, she refuses to use any fake sugar because some believe it tricks the brain and packs on as much weight as sugar.
i think your wife is on the right track, i've seen lots of data indicating that this is true. in real life though i'm going to make a lowcarb 'treat' with fake sugar if i'm having big cravings. in my opinion, it's the lesser of the evils compared to eating something with real carbs.