Thread: Sous vide
View Single Post
  #31   ^
Old Tue, Sep-29-09, 12:48

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Just looking back at this thread, I wanted to comment on the Sharp microwave/convection oven. I have one of these, though I don't know if it's the same model. It has discrete temperature settings; the lowest three are 100, 150 and 275. Sometimes I wish there were a 200 setting. It has two ways to set cooking time: enter a number of minutes from 1 to 99, or set it on "slow cook," which will run for 4 hours.

It's been pretty useful, but these are the major problems:

When dehydrating, 4 hours is not enough.

It's never seemed quite hot enough. Recently, it seems to have gotten even less hot. The last thing we tried to make was a cake which was supposed to take about 45 minutes at around 350. After 2 or 3 hours at "450", it was still not done.

We had the machine repaired once because the turntable stopped working. The repairman was extremely rude and we had to have him back a couple of times because the first time he claimed there was nothing wrong with it and we just needed to clean it.

I think the problem now may be that the machine was invaded by cockroaches. They seem to be able to get anywhere inside it - even inside the digital readout. I am loath to call the repair company again because I expect it will be expensive and complicated to deal with them.
Sponsored Links