#10   ^
Old Fri, Jun-20-08, 12:20

Plan: LC
Stats: 248.4/245.4/170 Female 5' 6 "
BF:
Progress: 4%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcarbUgh
The people in the ACORD study were also on extremely high-carb diets and taking glucose lowering medications including insulin. Many of the people died of coronary incidents which may have been contributed to by hypoglycemia. It is almost impossible to avoid hypos with high carbs and lots of insulin. Bernstein's theory of small numbers explains this much better than I can in the space of a post.

As Eddie said, most of them had already experienced the devastating damage of long-term poor control and the target A1c of 7 isn't anywhere near normal A1c. I would try to get below 6.

Really appreciate the info. I will at least go to the Bernstein forum and read through some of the threads. You're telling me 7 is not good - don't I know it. I was pretty torn up when I saw that number. Hopefully with the change in medication my number will be much better next time. And as you made me realize, my actual previous number may have higher than 7, and this latest test may indeed represent a drop in my A1c. I'm hoping that's the case I'm working my program pretty well, but there's always room for improvement.