View Single Post
  #73   ^
Old Sun, Mar-30-08, 06:38

Plan: paleo-ish
Stats: 482/400/240 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

Quote:
I think Lindt 99% and 85% bars are gluten-free.

Nope. They contain barley, so have gluten. Very sneaky of them.

I currently use Green and Blacks 72%. Its a little carbier, but doesn't upset my system. I think they make a higher percentage, but I can't find it anywhere.

Quote:
Some great ideas in here for a newbie to the forum! I especially like where Bat Spit is going with cooking ideas (she seems nearly as anal as me about using only paleo ingredients for cooking )

Thanks Tarlach. I do try to be crazy about it, although I've done some long term testing and my body doesn't mind butter, so I've been using that again in some of my baking. It gives me something to feed my vegetarian friends when they stop by!

Quote:
I personally agree with gfpaperdol and try to avoid sugar and sweeteners. I think the only sweeteners I would happily use (though rarely) are honey and stevia (if I could find one that tasted nice)

I've found a new near-paleo sweetener. Its Agave Nectar. Its made by scooping out the center of an agave cactus, then coming back later, the plant will have filled itself with a sweet liquid. It seems to have a similar profile to honey in terms of sucrose/fructose. It has a very light flavor and it is very thin so its a little more pourable and mixes a little more easily.

When using it in baking though, remember that it browns VERY quickly and will cause things to burn if you don't lower the cooking temp a little and watch your time. I'm still figuring out how to adjust for this ingredient.