Thread: Strawberry jam
View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-07-20, 17:42

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

I searched for a jam recipe on here, but couldn't find one. So I googled and found a LC friendly berry/chia jam recipe off site:

https://www.gnom-gnom.com/paleo-keto-chia-jam/

That recipe is for raspberry jam. They say it will work with other berries, but you might need to adjust the ingredient amounts, or cooking time for the desired results.

I'm not wild about chia, but I know it thickens liquids readily. If you're used to working with chia that's probably the way to go to get good results.

I'm used to working with xanthan gum as a thickener for gravies and sauces, so if I were making a LC jam, I'd probably use some xanthan instead of the chia. Xanthan can be kind of tricky to work with to get the desired thickness without any lumping though. For sauces, I usually make a roux from the xanthan and some olive oil, then pour that into the hot liquid and whisk it until thickened. If I'm trying to thicken a lot of liquid (such as for a gravy) I find it works best to sprinkle the dry xanthan gum over the hot liquid, and use a stick blender to incorporate it, increasing the speed of the stick blender until the mixture thickens enough. (A food processor might work too, although you wouldn't want to risk pouring really hot liquid into a food processor) For the amount of jam that recipe makes, it would probably take about 1 tsp of xanthan to fully thicken it, but I'd start with a smaller amount and add more if needed, so that I didn't accidentally end up with it thick enough to slice.