View Single Post
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 09:05

Plan: atkins/protein power 1st
Stats: 269/278/210 Male 5 feet 10 ins.
BF:33%/30%/ ?
Progress: -15%

It used to be said that it was carbohydrate that helped memory but a recent study in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition suggests that ALL TYPES of food energy, not just carbohydrates, appear to enhance memory performance in healthy older adults

The effects of carbohydrates on cognition have been well- established by researchers, but "this is the first study to show that pure dietary protein and fat also improve memory,''says the author Randall Kaplan.

He is with the University of Toronto's Department of Nutritional Sciences and a researcher at the Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care.

Until now, it was believed by scientists that increases in blood glucose levels explained the beneficial impact of carbohydrates on memory in elderly people.

In the present study, however, people performed better on memory tests after consuming carbohydrate, fat and protein drinks of equal calories compared to a placebo with no food energy, regardless of the drinks' effects on blood glucose levels.

The positive results occurred in verbal recall tests administered 15 minutes after the participants -- 11 males and 11 females, aged 61 to 79 -- consumed each type of drink.

'Other memory tests involving attention and non-verbal tasks showed variable effects, he says, suggesting that specific types of food energy enhance specific aspects of brain function.

According to the researchers, further research is necessary to unravel the unique connections between each nutrient and brain region involved in memory.

If you have had your fill of protein and fat, (reminds me I must get some gas forthe barby) there is always the supplement route.

I cannot vouch for any of these but merely report them:

Ginkgo Biloba:

A powerful antioxidant best known for its ability to enhance circulation throughout the body and brain. It has the capacity to squeeze through the narrowest of blood vessels to increase the supply of oxygen to the heart, brain, and other parts of the body.

Huperzine A:

A compound harvested from the club moss Huperzia serrata, and a popular brain supporting nutrient. Huperzine A helps maintain levels of acetylcholine, a brain nutrient that plays a major role in cognitive function.It is suiggested that by promoting healthy acetylcholine levels,memory health is maximized. In addition, huperzine A supports the nervous system's role in transmitting information from cell to cell.

DHA (Docosahexaenoic Acid):

An Omega-3 fatty acid, DHA is a major building block of brain and retinal tissue that plays a role in blood clotting, blood vessel dilation, and the inflammation response.

Vinpocetine:

An extract of the Periwinkle plant, vinpocetine has demonstrated its ability to enhance blood circulation and oxygen utilization in the brain, and help reduce blood clotting. It is used as a cognitive supporter, and may also have antioxidant properties.

Has anyone seen my car keys?