View Single Post
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Jan-05-19, 22:32

Plan: OWL
Stats: 177/168/135 Female 5'1"
BF:50.5/38/25
Progress: 21%

Both vegan and keto diets are very popular right now. My favorite local market has had not one, but TWO jackfruit + veggie cold salads in the deli case since January 1st.

Not to mention vegan mac n cheese in pre-pack (blech!), samples of vegan soup (actually pretty tasty), and Nut-Pods half-n-half replacer with coffee.

BUT they also have lovely grilled and sliced flat-iron steak, and a nice salad bar with good dressings, so I guess I'm good. They always have roasted chicken legs in the hot bar. They sample things like salami, cheeses, and salmon patties. They even use organic lettuces and spinach in their kitchen. I asked.

I wrestled with whether or not I should be vegetarian many years ago, and I continue to be concerned about the environmental and health impacts of Big Ag - both in meat production and plant farming. My takeaway continues to be:

1. We cannot get all essential nutrients from a diet devoid of all animal products unless they are artificially supplemented to try to correct this deficiency. For example, there is no non-animal source of B12 except that synthesized in a laboratory.

2. I have a special need that requires me to eat animal products. I tend to be slightly anemic, and I need that heme iron. Plant-based iron just doesn't do it for me.

Way back when, I tried being a vegetarian (including dairy & eggs) for a brief period of time. I even chose faux leather products and comforters stuffed with fiberfill. Recently, I discovered that synthetic fabrics leach plastic microfibers every time you launder them. The microfibers infiltrate our water supply. We ingest them. No bueno, but I can't remember the specifics about how they affect our health. That faux-down jacket you bought because it doesn't have animal products f*ks up the environment in other ways.

It does piss me off that veganism is being touted as better for health. So many people have decided to try vegan as a New Year's resolution, that's why the market has responded with all these vegan choices. They were sampling pepperoni pizza minis, and a lot of people refused it for that reason.