#10   ^
Old Wed, Apr-15-20, 12:51

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by 043ched
By casual, I mean I am not counting or strictly monitoring macros, including calories and may occasionally eat something that doesn't belong in a low carb diet. By low carb, I mean I do know I am below 100g of carbs, often less than 50g of carbs. I don't worry about net, so those estimates are total carbs. I know I will have to adjust my diet to start losing weight, but I'm really questioning weather IF has any real value for weight loss. As I mentioned, it seems most people doing IF have also made other adjustments, which may be more responsible for their success than the IF. I'm hoping to hear if anyone has tried IF without any other adjustments, but my guess is that would be rare. My thinking right now is to make the adjustments to my diet and not really worry about IF. I may add IF back once I've tightened up my diet to a point that would not be described as casual. Regardless, I'm always open to suggestions and happy to hear any comments.

I think you're heading in the right direction if you are going to make dietary adjustments first. I know that when I started many years ago, if I ate 100 grams of carbs I wouldn't have seen any progress. That doesn't work for me. Even at 50 grams, my progress would have been slow. I committed to 20 or under, and in 6 months, I dropped over 40 pounds, and in another 6 weeks, I dropped 5 more. That was without exercise; although, I now exercise frequently. Amazing how you feel when you have energy and less weight to carry around.

I highly recommend you adopt a low carb protocol and get the book of a good author who is highly respected for low carb results. There are many, but it will give you structure and a plan to follow. Here's a thread for books on this forum:
https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=480468

If you're "going off the reservation" eating things that aren't low carb, that's a major issue, as you're embracing the "one step forward, two steps back" behavior that causes people to quit this approach by mistakenly thinking "it just doesn't work for me." This is merely a weak excuse. Link into the Journals/Bootcamp threads on this forum, as there are many who started out like you and provide a fantastic set of information and knowledge to help themselves and you:
https://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36

Most of all, enjoy the journey, as it's not a quick fix, but it works well with dedication and consistency. It just takes time to learn yourself and what works best for you.