View Single Post
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Nov-17-01, 06:01

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: //2002
BF:and feeling great
Progress: 99%

Hi - Biotin was my number one choice for hair help.

.A certain amount of hair loss on a daily basis is normal even if you have NOT changed your diet. Hair loss that occurs from a drastic change in diet, is normal hair loss that is happening at an excellerated rate. That is, hair that was destined to fall out ANYWAY, is just falling out EARLY.

When a hair falls out, there is a period of dormancy in the hair follicle before regrowth begins. Regrowth as it starts, is very fine hair and so your overall volume feels like less. Pull your hair back tightly with your hand from your hairline - you will see short, fine hairs that are new hairs coming in.

The fact is that Biotin (a B vitamin -water soluble so you can't overdose on it) is a nutrient for hair, skin and nails. I started taking it when I began freaking out about my hair loss. At a dose of about 1000 units a day. (Now I take about 300) I didn't notice that it STOPPED the hair loss. The fact was that process was going to happen regardless, because of the drastic change from low-fat eating.

But as my hair began growing back, it grew back better than before. I also cut it to a short style to *weather* the storm, and actually have never grown it long again. It's as nice as it was before and probably healthier. My nails are amazing too.