View Single Post
  #187   ^
Old Sun, Mar-04-07, 19:03

Plan: 30 g carbs/day
Stats: 220/180/150 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 57%

I'd like to add some recipes if I could. They have been done quite a few times, but these are made to my own preferences and none is an exact copy of any one recipe, from what I can see. I also added a tip or two regarding the cooking processes, etc. Please note that the Baby Omelettes were originally quiches with my own favorite ingredients, but they came out more eggy and less quiche-y and when I popped these delicious babies out they just looked, well, like baby omelettes. Hence the name.

All three recipes can be eaten in any of the phases. All are Phase I legal. I was too lazy to do the nutritional information except to approximate calories. The cole slaw is about 200 calories for the entire bowl (which yields a ton of servings depending upon your appetite); the Baby Omelettes are approximately 50-60 calories per omelette depending upon how much cheese you put in and the chili is about 225-275 calories for 1/2 cup.

Glendora's Great Cole Slaw
3 c. shredded green cabbage
1.5 tbsp. mayo (regular or reduced-fat)
splash vinegar
1/2 packet Splenda
salt
pepper

Put the shredded cabbage in a big bowl. Add the vinegar first. I use approximately 1.5 teaspoons. It is better to start conservative with the vinegar and add more next time if you want a more vinegary taste.

Add the mayo, Splenda, a little salt and a few shakes of pepper. Blend well. ALLOW TO CHILL for at least one hour. This allows the flavors to blend. Then enjoy.

Baby Omelettes
1 c. egg substitute
1/2 c. shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
1/2 c. green pepper, chopped very small
1/4 c. white onions, chopped very small
2 slices turkey bacon, pulled into small "bacon bits"
salt
cooking spray

Preheat oven to 400 degrees (F). Spray nine cups of a 12-cup muffin tin with the cooking spray. Place all other ingredients in bowl (salt to taste--approximately 1/2 teaspoon). Mix together. Spoon equal amounts into the cups of the muffin tin. Bake for 22 minutes (check at 20 minutes just in case). Baby omelettes should "spring back" when touched in the middle, or come clean when a knife is inserted in the center. Allow to cool in muffin tin for about five minutes; then lift gently with a spoon (run spoon gently around edges first to make sure nothing is sticking--it shouldn't). Eat warm or store in fridge or freezer and re-heat later.

Glendora's Bite-You-Back Chili
16 oz. red beans
1 lb. chicken breast meat
one 15-oz. can plain tomato sauce (read ingredients carefully--no sugar!)
one 8-oz. can diced tomatoes
1/4 c. finely diced onion
1/2 c. green peppers
1 small tin canned mushroom pieces (or a few mushrooms, cut up)
1.5 tsps. chili powder
1 tsp. garlic powder
salt
pepper
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1-3 shakes hot sauce (Tabasco sauce)

On the stovetop, pour tomato sauce and diced tomatoes into a pot and begin heating on VERY LOW heat setting. On another burner, spray a frying pan with cooking oil spray and begin heating the pan on low-to-medium (approx. 3 minutes). Cut chicken meat into small cubes and cook in frying pan until all chicken is white and not pink.

Add the cooked chicken, onion, green peppers, mushrooms and beans to the pot and stir. Add spices and hot sauce last; stir again. Taste--this is very important. Use only one shake of hot sauce at first and then taste--this makes a fairly hot chili! If you're nervous about the heat of this chili, skip the crushed pepper flakes the first time you cook it; you can always add them later or add them to the batch the next time you cook this dish. Cook 3-4 hours covered on the stove top, stirring about every half hour. For the final half hour of cooking, take the lid off so the chili can thicken and reduce down. YOU CAN NOT OVERCOOK THIS CHILI. The longer the chili cooks, the better it tastes. If you find the chili is too hot for your tastes, add a few ounces more of tomato sauce and keep on stove top a little longer so it will thicken and reduce down.