View Single Post
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jul-05-19, 14:24

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

I did a 3 day hike in 2017 on the Kepler Track in Fiordland National Park here in New Zealand, covering about 50km/30mi in that time.

The food I took with me was mostly low carb: I took half a dozen eggs, some sausages, a can of vege soup, prepared some bunless burgers in advance and a couple of wraps (the exception), as well as a pair of bags of grated cheese and macadamia nuts for nibbling on, as an alternative to the usual scroggin-type mixes.

Contrary to some expectations going in with regard to the food, everything went fine. In fact, the vege soup was never needed at all and I only got halfway through one of the bags of cheese and nuts. The thing that stood out to me was not so much how hungry I was but how thirsty I was, but there was never any shortage of waterways through the forest from which we could refill our bottles.

I can understand the reasoning for mixing the food up a bit for something like this, though. When I travelled to the States in late 2016, it was pretty much a case of managing as best I could with whatever options were available, with a few more choices that one could consider to be outright deviations. It's kind of a one-off experience that you don't want to have impacted too much by a LC WOE, so I get that.

But as soon as I was back home, it was straight back to the regular eating routine again. I think that's the most important thing with these kinds of situations, that they remain one-offs, and that when you're at home etc just living your daily routine, you're still making LC part of that regular daily routine.

Carry on.