#1267   ^
Old Sat, Aug-10-19, 10:57

Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
If anyone knows of a clear statement as to when autophagy starts in humans in the absence of food, I'd be interested. As stated in the D'Agostino blog post, it would be nice to know how long it takes to benefit from optimal autophagy. I would be able to determine the necessary duration of an IF for maximum benefit.
I thought you might be interested in this talk from Dr. Nadir Ali on autophagy at the recent Ketofest. His talk starts at 47:00 and he's got a couple of slides on "when does autophagy start" at about 1:12:40.

In short, he's saying that it depends on a number of factors. If you are older, obese, sedentary, and eat a SAD diet it might take two to three days. If you are younger, leaner, more active, have good cholesterol, and eat a LCHF diet, then it might take 24 hours. You might need EF if you have severe health concerns to address like Alzheimer's, inflammation and high blood pressure, and severe insulin resistance.

He does mention a mouse study as well as some results from exercise related studies on autophagy in humans.

I still don't think it really answers your question definitively with a specific scientific study or two in humans, though.