View Single Post
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-10, 10:48

Plan: PP-ish
Stats: 202/149/147 Male 5'8
BF:~10%
Progress: 96%

There are virtually limitless weight training programs. I like to hit the major muscle groups in combination. Google "dumbbell home exercise."

As mentioned above, at 37 years old I have no desire to spend endless hours working the beach and mirror muscles. I need the baby-chasing, carrying-laundry-up-the-stairs muscles. What I do on dumbbell days is heavy 1-arm dumbbell shoulder presses and heavy dumbbell deadlifts, also called "suitcase deadlifts." A couple sets of each, with enough weight that 5-6 is a challenge and 8 is impossible, and call it a day. That'll get you stronger than 90% of your peers. The workout should not take longer than 15 minutes or so. I have things I'd rather be doing than puffing like a hamster on a wheel for 45 minutes 5x a week.

"Feeling like crap" is a common side effect of "cardio" training, just like knee pain, ankle pain, shin pain, hip pain and sudden onset chest pain followed by no pain at all...ever, are common side effects of running. The word "cardio" was invented by a marketing genius to trick men into doing aerobics. Don't fall for it.

For some reason, the same people who are on this board because they don't believe the "low fat lots of vegetables" government recommendations continue to believe the "1 hour of cardio exercise 4-5x a week" government recommendations. Skip the hamster training. Get stronger and live well.