View Single Post
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-14, 14:37

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

It's the other way around. Carb intake can disrupt our ability to first release fat from fat cells, and then to metabolize that fat into ketones at the liver, and finally to metabolize those ketones in every other cell for energy. It works this way. Insulin regulates fat tissue such that when it rises, it inhibits the release of fat. Then, insulin regulates liver metabolism such that when it rises, it inhibits ketogenesis. Finally, insulin regulates glucose/ketone metabolism in every cell such that when it rises, it shifts metabolism toward glucose and away from ketones in an either/or fashion, but that point is moot as there's fewer ketones already from the lower ketogenesis at the liver and from the lower release of fat at the fat tissue. Actually, when insulin rises, all other cells will shift toward glycogenesis - the storage of glucose through conversion into glycogen, since insulin inhibits glycogenolysis - the breakdown of glycogen into glucose, and this occurs primarily in the liver as well, which is how the liver regulates blood glucose.

Additionally, if we use my paradigm (you can read it on my blog), ketones directly regulate insulin through insulin receptors at the liver, since the liver is the primary site of insulin degradation. And this in turn allows insulin to drop and then to continue to provide the substrate - fat - for the ongoing ketogenesis at the liver. It's a brilliant system.

Bear in mind this is just my opinion, not necessarily how it actually works. But again in my opinion, it's the best hypothesis I could come up with so far.