#1   ^
Old Mon, Dec-02-13, 19:46
Registered Member

Plan: hf, lc, rf
Stats: 215/164/135 Female 58.5 inches
BF:??%/27%/18%
Progress: 64%
Default Normal Menstruation with Thyroid Supplementation

This past January, I was diagnosed with PCOS based on blood tests and the fact that I've never had a normal menstrual cycle in my life (up to a year between periods, rarely ovulated, etc.). In April this was confirmed with ultrasound.

For other reasons (I've basically had all the symptoms for seven+ years), I've always suspected myself of having some kind of thyroid problem. I was surprised when, listening to a health-related podcast, the interviewee (Ray Peat, IIRC) mentioned in passing that amenorrhea was a symptom of low T3. This was the tipping point for me. I ordered dessicated thyroid online, and started taking it, 2-3 grains/day at first, but now closer to 1-2.

Exactly three weeks later, I got my period. This was the first time I'd had a non-induced one in two or three years. Two weeks later, I experienced some perplexing discharge. Upon looking it up, I realized I'd just ovulated for the first time in my life. Like clockwork, I had my second period at the same time the next month, and ovulated again a few days ago.

Did I just have a thyroid problem the entire time, with the PCOS being a mere symptom? If so, am I an abnormal case, or is the way PCOS is 'treated' by modern medicine severely inadequate?
Sponsored Links