View Single Post
  #271   ^
Old Sat, Mar-19-22, 06:48

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

Yes, I noticed the discrepancy in those two milks, as well. It does seem like Big Food is discovering that people are interested in getting more protein. Oikos has a 20 protein gram yogurt that's 140 calories. I was looking through the ready-to-eat canned soups one day and might see "13 Grams of Protein" and then in the small print, "per can". I've been applying the 40% formula to these things and it's quite shocking sometimes how far away food is from being 40% protein - even turkey bacon! 2 grams of protein but 35 calories, most of them.

I was talking to one of the members of my weight loss club and she asked me what I ate the day before and I told her and how much protein it was, so I asked her what she ate and estimated generously about 75 gms for her day. One "meal" she had was soup, which is what got me looking at the soups. The best one of those I read labels on was Progresso Pot Roast soup which came out to 70 protein cals versus 90 total, iirc. Throw some collagen in there and it would be ok.

I'm going to challenge my group to increase their daily protein intake by 20 gm for a week, when we meet again next Thursday and I thought I'd better have some ideas for them to try.

Even my sister who has always been health-conscious, says she usually eats about 70 gm/day. With articles saying the RDA is only about 50, that's not surprising, but it's also a crying shame if all us old ladies could be improving our bone and muscle strength a lot by eating more protein but almost nobody is pushing it.

Everyone I've talked to has the same reaction "Oh, I could never eat that much protein". I thought that myself actually, but am finding it easier than I thought. It's just a matter of education and then trying it.
Sponsored Links