#19   ^
Old Wed, Jan-01-20, 04:33

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by PollyWaffl
Question from a nube to this forum - what is CAD/CALP?
And while I'm at it, what is DANDR?

CAD is Carbohydrate Addicts Diet. It is based on putting almost all of your daily carbs (a rather high amount is allowed) into ONE meal, and two very low carb meals. CALP is Carbohydrate Addict's Life Span Program.

It sounds very appealing, and if you can happily eat according to very strict rules about proportions and carb counting, it might work. For someone like me, it's just another way to keep the cravings alive and roaring. Those portions get juggled "just once" and cheat day becomes CHEAT WEEK and then it's the pounds coming back with friends.

DANDR is the book, Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution, which has several versions. Many of us started with the 2002 version, as I did. This plan starts with no more than 20 carbs a day, varies via "net vs total" carbs, and then sets out a way to "climb the carb ladder" for weight loss and maintenance.

It seems to be a much more sustainable plan for most. In my case, I need to stay Very Low Carb and like 90% animal foods -- much closer to what's called Carnivore/Zero Carb.

Which I actually ENJOY. Blew through my health and weight loss goals with ZERO craving issues. It has turned into something I've done all this year, and looks like the most sustainable plan I've ever tried. Like deirdra, I can have, at very spaced intervals, ONE meal with some carbs in it. This holiday season I did both Thanksgiving and Christmas Day, at a buffet where I concentrated on meat, seafood, cheese, and fatty sauces, a couple of bites of a starchy side, and a half-sized dessert.

That worked, but I know I couldn't do it every day. Those carbs WILL climb and get on top of ME.

Essentially, based on the years I've spent here reading about people's struggles, my own status as someone in the Triple Digits Club (100+ pounds to lose) can be a clear indicator of how "carb sensitive" our bodies might be. My carbs must be kept low, because even moderate amounts signals my body to release a TANKER CAR OF INSULIN. This drops my blood sugar, I get hangry like bear, and ready to rip the door off the fridge.

I can't live that way, and it turns out, I WILL die that way.