#20   ^
Old Fri, Jun-26-20, 07:44

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benay
I am also told that with food combining - as in rice plus beans - as in Mexican food, total protein can be achieved.

That is the theory. But the support for how it works in practice has some unacknowledged pitfalls. As always, I turn to Dr. Ede when it comes to vegan myths.

Quote:
Some plant proteins are less digestible (less bioavailable) than animal proteins. Protein from corn and beans are the least digestible, at about 70%, compared to meat, which is about 94% digestible. Glutens contain stretches of repetitive amino acid sequences (rich in proline and glutamine) that are particularly difficult for our enzymes to digest, so we cannot completely break this protein down into its individual amino acids. [Gutiérrez 2017]

Grains, beans, nuts, and seeds (the primary protein sources for plant-based diets) contain anti-nutrients including protease inhibitors which interfere with the body’s ability to digest proteins, and fiber which interferes with the absorption of protein. These plant protein sources also include phytic acid which interferes with mineral absorption. [See my grains, beans, nuts, and seeds page for more information about these anti-nutrients. See also my "Foods that Cause Hypothyroidism" article to read about the risk of goiter from eating soy.]

Does It Matter Where You Get Your Protein?

Also:

Quote:
There is no evidence that eating protein in excess of estimated daily requirements is harmful to health.

Plus, in my case:

Quote:
Grains, beans, nuts, and seeds (the primary protein sources for plant-based diets) contain anti-nutrients

I have tested grains, beans, and seeds, and my body seems to complain. Nuts are a work in progress.