#16   ^
Old Thu, Jun-25-20, 11:22

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
My own experience bears this out. One thing the quoted article gets right, (that I also see with cats,) is that our bodies will be hungry until we get enough nutrients. This is how I explain the paradoxical craving for foods which turn out not to be good for us.

Since these foods "don't work" to supply us with nutrients, the body assumes this is the only foods we have around. (Why else are we eating junk? This is an evolutionary position, not one modeled on the modern world.) So, like me with vegetable protein, the body "tells me" to eat more of the inadequate food, in an attempt to get nutrition from it.

It also explains how eating Keto, focusing on animal foods my body gets along with, has eliminated so many cravings. I'm hungry, and then I eat good food, and then I'm not hungry any more.

This is my body working as it should.

There is also a theory that your body/brain connection actually remembers the most often consumed source of certain nutrients, and that's one reason you crave certain foods.

Decades ago when I was actively avoiding red meat (Heart attack on a plate!!! ) as much as possible, along with all the truly junky carbs, I craved black olives. It wasn't until I started eating beef again that the black olive craving went away. I couldn't figure out why, until I looked at the ingredients on canned olives - they have ferrous gluconate added to help keep them dark. Ferrous gluconate is a truly lousy source of iron (especially in the tiny amount added to canned black olives), but it was about all I was eating that had any iron at all in it.

As cravings go, I could certainly do a lot worse than black olives (and definitely craved a lot worse than black olives). I still like black olives, but I no longer devise ways to eat them frequently.
Sponsored Links