#56   ^
Old Mon, Jul-23-12, 15:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 199/000/000 Female 5"3'
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaZigeuner
My first thought was a bit different: that he's controlling carb/protein sufficiently for his pancreas to output little enough insulin to have allowed serum ketones to climb quickly.

So there might also be several non-gender based measures that cause the difference, including: his pancreas makes less insulin than Arlene's; he found the optimal carb level for his serum ketones faster than Arlene has; he found the optimal protein level for his serum ketones faster than Arlene has. These are dependent on genetics and luck of starting point.

Add into that gender differences like burning through liver glycogen faster, and/or whatever testosterone gives you for lipolysis that we don't get (although estrogen is supposedly lipolytic), and guys have got an advantage raising serum ketones all right.

Interesting, and he has not posted his menues yet. He should be eating at least the minimum grams of protein, tho, if he wants to be able to recommend this to others.

We are told several times, in The A&S of Low Carb Living that getting into full nutritional ketosis usually takes at least a week and sometimes two. I was on a pretty low carb and protein level for a few days, but not tracking, before I started this. I could expect him to fall into NK faster than me, he is bigger, and may be exercising hours a day, and for all I know, he was eating pretty much this way for a while before his strips arrived and he started testing.

I expected it to take at least a week or two for me to get there.