View Single Post
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Oct-06-06, 06:30
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

I have to admit I was hopeful, but doubtful, about this recipe. I recalled how in the 'old days' of low carb people waxed on about pork rinds as ingredients in all kinds of things, gag me with a spoon as we used to say in my California high school. ;-)

But my husband's fave is apple pie and I just mandated our whole house go low carb to support me -- except bread, fruit and his ice cream Klondikes ;-) -- so I thought my first dessert experiment should be this one.

I doubled the filling part of the recipe.
Since some people have commented about some sense of salt with carbquick I made a point to use unsalted butter with it.

I got zucchini and peeled it, cut it in half, then realized it didn't really have seeds, only seed-buds, they were all very small. So I just sliced/chopped it up, about the thickness that we'd have them in a salad, tossed 'em in the pan, used RealLemon with some water and let 'em cook. I cooked 'em longer than 10 minutes as I was waiting for them to seem properly 'soft'.

Then I mixed in the stuff like sugars and instead of using the cinnamon and nutmeg I used the same total amount of "apple pie spice" (which has those but also a little bit of allspice in the mix).

I made a mixture of 4 Tbsp granular splenda, 8 Tbsp Erythritol, 3 Tbsp Diabetisweet (which is Isomalt and Acesulfame-K) and 3 Pkts Splenda and put them in a lock&lock sealed container and flipped/shook it around till I felt they were well blended. Then I used half of that for the filling and half for the crust.

I have to say the blend of sweeteners came out well and didn't taste as "thin" as things often do when I have just used splenda/sweetzfree. I think I will actually mix up this blend again and keep it in a container so when I need any sweetener I can just use from that blend.

OK, then in making the crust, I was spending forever with a spoon trying to get it to the 'crumbled' size. My husband used his hands but then he made it into a dough! So then he added yet more carbquick, I worried it would taste terrible, but it didn't (though we overcooked it slightly).

I let the filling sit for way too long on the stove while I made the crust. I should have had the crust down and ready to go. The zucchini got softer during that time and was a bit more mush-with-zucchini-pieces as a result.

We put the 'crust' in ramekins. He made 'sides' on it so it only filled three large ramikens plus the tops (covered them ok). We had extra filling so we saved it.

Me, DH and the 10 year old DD agree: it tastes so much like apple pie that we couldn't really tell the diff. Maybe if we had the two next to each other to try, we could tell some difference, but on its own, if someone had served that to me, the ramekin with a lot of filling and a little crust all around, if they had not told me it was not apples, I would not have known.

For that matter, if they hadn't told me it was low carb, I would not have known!

This is a great recipe.