Old Sun, May-13-07, 17:38
Happy Loser!

Plan: Atkins food, IF 20/4
Stats: 287/238/165 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
Good points, but I disagree with this one. If the plan they are using is not working for them, perhaps they should consider another. I was starving, irritable and stalled for months on an 1100 calorie SBD diet & exercising 10 hrs/wk. Now I am a successful 2000 cals/day Fatkins follower who exercises only 3-5 hrs/wk. Of course one should be considerate of the person's current choice of diet, but I see nothing wrong with describing a change that worked.

You make a good point, Dierdra. I certainly think that there are times when suggesting a person change plan could be good advice. The point I wanted to make, though, was not about changing plan but about advice that didn't take the nature of the person's plan into consideration.

"You need to eat more fat so you won't feel hungry" is not very helpful to a person on SBD.

However, if the person is clearly struggling on SBD and has been for some time, something like this could be helpful: "Perhaps SBD is not working very well for you because it tends to have a lower fat content than other plans and fat is what satiates you so you don't feel hungry all the time. You might want to consider switching to a higher fat program like Atkins or even Fatkins <insert link to explanation of Fatkins>. While SBD works great for some people, personally I found that Fatkins works much better for me."

The first quote just confuses people trying to follow a plan, the second quote provides useful information about alternatives.

I hope that clarifies my point a little.

Emma