View Single Post
  #3   ^
Old Sun, May-10-20, 06:34

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
If fat were just a fashion statement, or an unalterable condition like age or race, then the taboo on negative comment would be perfectly in order. But it is neither. It is a serious health issue, totally remediable by willpower, medical intervention or both. It is also a significant factor in the risk of dying from Covid-19. Some 16% of Irish patients have body mass indices of 40-plus. As the healthy range is 19-25, those people are grossly obese.

This shows the ignorance of the person who wrote this article. I reversed my obesity without willpower and without medical intervention. I reversed it through gaining knowledge and the experience that knowledge allowed me to have. This article has very much a blame the victim vibe. This is a complex and important issue, the relationship of weight to health, and now especially Covid-19, but to fall back on blaming a lack of will power or what medical intervention, perhaps it is bariatric surgery or a low fat diet that are the medical interventions alluded to, is to fall back on a discredited way of viewing obesity. This is an important subject and it needs a more carefully thought out and nuanced discussion, not this rush to judgment blame the victim approach. This article seems just another example of fat shaming couched in the usual "it's their health I am worried about" justification with the added justification of "and the health of other people with whom they come in contact."